This is by far the best cupcake recipe in the world. And don’t just take my word for it, try making them yourself! They are easy, nearly flop-proof ( I have made them in a variety of testing environments and in at least 3 different countries), moist and delicious. I even made them for my friends’ wedding…
Usually, I make them in the chocolate variety but for a friend’s baby shower last week, I made the as plain vanilla to match the pink icing.
1. Sift dry ingredients together:
- 3 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarb
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 pinch of salt
- (Can also add 2t instant coffee)
2. Mix wet ingredients together:
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 50ml white vinegar
- 2 cups boiling water
3. Pour into paper lined cupcake tins (or if you are making a cake, into a 12 inch by 10 inch pan)
4. Bake for about 35 minutes at 180ºC (Cupcakes are done when a skewer comes out clean)
- For plain vanilla cupcakes, leave the cocoa out.
- I usually make Nigella’s royal icing if I want white icing.
- If I want colours, I make royal icing and add food colouring or make (sinful) butter icing, adding cocoa to make it chocolaty.